Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"It's your room full of balloons!!!"

The very best thing about the proposal is that it was a surprise... for both of us! That's right, Justin too! I will start at the beginning....
I guess the first thing you have to know is that I am enchanted with balloons. Whenever Justin asked what I wanted for a birthday or valentines day I would always say "Balloons! A Whole room full!" Even with my insistence I never really receive balloons from anyone... sad, I know. (My balloon obsession can be witnessed here, here and here )


Friday morning I was told that I was ban from the basement and I had to call half an hour before I got home. I found this intriguing but I immediately assumed he was recreating this headboard for our bed that we saw and fell in love with a couple weeks ago and needed the space.
Friday night we went out to dinner and a late showing of Valentine's Day. We often go to movies and consider ourselves quite the critics! We got back to the house around midnight and Justin immediately ran downstairs to check his project. I assumed he was checking to see if the headboard was drying or whatnot. He emerged from the basement with tears in his eyes." I have to give you your present now it can't wait." Now I am totally confused and my mind immediately goes to the fact that we may have, not a headboard, but a (now struggling) live animal in our basement and by all means we need to celebrate valentines day at this very second! That is seriously the only thing I thought could think of that would make this moment so urgent. (Justin laughed when I later told him that!) I said that of course we could celebrate right now. He asked me to go upstairs and that he would come and get me when he was ready.
As promised, he came upstairs and asked me to follow him. As we turned the corner I saw literally hundreds of balloons and streamers covering our entire first floor.

"It's your room full of balloons!"


I lost it. I have never felt more loved in that moment. That day he had rented a helium tank and blown up a couple HUNDRED balloons and tied streamers to each one. The urgency came from the fact that the cold basement was affecting the balloons and some had sunk to eye level. This actually made for a very cool effect and as we walked through the sea of red and white balloons(remember that it was supposed to be for Valentine's Day).
He pulled a balloon down (with a ring attached to it )and got down on one knee (I love that!) and proposed. I met him down on my knees and said "Of course"He slipped the the ring that was still attached to the balloon on my finger and we both cried. Even though I knew from the beginning that I would spend the rest of my life with this man, in those seconds I too felt the hugeness of the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment