Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"At the end of our life our questions are simple: Did I live fully? Did I love well?"

Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve.... You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.


*Please do not re-post any of these personal photos without permission. (I hate that I have to say that... but you know how it goes.)


MEXICO TRIP




As I mentioned in our last post my mom, Justin and myself Traveled to Mexico for Thanksgiving and to volunteer with an organization that assists children living in PV surrounding low income areas. We stuffed pack backs full of school supplies and toys for each child.


(This could be my all time favorite photo... look at those eyes. )
We took photos of each child and gave each child a frame to decorate and put their photo in. A huge issue in Mexico is child abduction. Most of these families do not have any photos of their children, so if they were to be abducted these photos would help authorities id the missing child.



Justin took charge as the balloon man. The kids loved him- although he popped most of the balloons!



I oversaw the crafts area! We had such an amazing time with all the kids!

Someone asked the anthropologist Margaret Mead (1901-1978), "What is the first sign you look for, to tell you of an ancient civilization?" The interviewer had in mind a tool or article of clothing. Ms. Mead surprised him by answering, a "healed femur". When someone breaks a femur, they can't survive to hunt, fish or escape enemies unless they have help from someone else. Thus, a healed femur indicates that someone else helped that person, rather than abandoning them and saving themselves. Isn't that what we in philanthropy are all about? Healing femurs of one sort or another? "

...I guess we were just healing femurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment